Saturday, February 19, 2005

Birth of a Blog

I hear and have seen with my own eyes that my father-in-law, one of the steady stalwarts against the often times too pervasive onslaught of communications technology, has started to blog. Being under attack for probably more than a year from his favorite (or at least in the top three) daughter, he finally relented and posted his own words for public display.

Being an engineer he has long had a great grasp of how things work. He’s able to fix anything, even the things that we manage to mess up around our house. And I’m sure that technology in general is quite comfortable for him. Things follow logical patterns, and given enough thought and determination, a solution can usually be found for anything.

But . . . , and you knew one was coming. When it comes to communications technology I’ve seen him drag his feet. Being a good “guy,” for many years he didn’t see the need to be bothered by a cell phone when he was out exploring the nation. Lewis and Clark did fine without one, and so can he. But his children whined and whined about not being able to contact him. And their persistence paid off. He weakened and will now talk on one of those small phones with buttons that are too small for the average guy’s fingers.

But blogging came slower. I’m not sure why. He’s been a lot more willing to contend with computers than either or my parents. (I’m the product of a more stubborn “German” mother who would love computers if she would only give them a chance, but still refuses.) As far as I can tell, he does quite well navigating programs and the internet. And he’s good at chatting through MSN messenger and the like. But blogging has been different. He's been fine reading and even commenting on existing blogs. But for him, a polite no thanks.

But now, in the early months of this new year, my favorite father-in-law has entered the blogosphere. And an official welcome is due. Please consider this it.

But (do you see a pattern in my paragraphs?) not only has he started blogging, he has not one, not two, but three blogs to his name. Wow, not to be out done by his daughter and her two, he has set the bar high. He has raised the standard. And he’s got me thinking again. For some time now, I’ve thought about starting a third blog, one which focuses more on my work in the construction trades, more specifically drywall. Maybe I’ve been inspired?

But, might this be another vain attempt like blog number two? (I still have hopes for that fledgling site.) I don’t know. But maybe it is worth a try. Its focus and purpose and look has changed a lot over the months as I’ve jumbled it around in my cluttered head. And besides, me, who doesn’t even have time to blog on “Blobjects” should probably not put anything more on my heaping plate. (I might try to eat it all and get sick.)

But we’ll see. For now, go read the father of the Swansmith.

0 comments: