Sunday, February 13, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day (almost)

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching. And I am immensely grateful that my heart is in the right hands. I’m blessed daily, but acknowledge it too infrequently. To show my gratitude to my better half and the One who has brought us together, I’ve written corny poems in the past. They go over well though, as women (at least the one who lives with me) seem to be able to overlook a lack of craft or originality. They make me believe that it really is the thought that counts. This year, instead of printing this out and placing it in a card, I thought I would give the Swansmith a reason to read my blog. Plus, I feel as though I’m saving the trees.

The subject matter of the verse was something that we shared. Even though we were apart, we were able to experience the wonder of that evening together. For, we saw the same thing. I only wish that I had my camera with me at that time. But, because I didn’t, you’ll have to illuminate this “ ) “ and turn it about 93 degrees. Good luck.


Running on E

Racing due west,
God smiled on me last night.
My senses were raised.
Was I truly in His sight?

I wonder if He was laughing,
But it seemed more like a grin.
I faced Him directly,
He knew where I’d been.

He would have been justified to laugh,
The way I did rush,
Trying to beat the amber
As it evolved into blush.

But the blackness of night
Made His smile evident.
hanging brightly near horizon
the farther western ward I went.

His face was tilted, but only slightly.
I imagined a nod--or possibly a wink
But could I, behind that pitch
Blackness, make such a link?

Was I getting closer?
Or moving farther away?
As I scurried and hurried
And worried--a moment to pray.

And now a new blanket of snow
Was given for this night
Gracefully covering my darkness
With a fresh coat of white.

And now red is the color
Of the new dawning day
With the seal of our hearts
Forever joined they will stay.

1 comments:

Suzi said...

Happy Valentine's Day, honey! I'm glad God and the moon are smiling down on us both. I love you day and night!
Your sweetheart, Suzi