Saturday, May 07, 2005

22 and Counting

The time has come. I must write. I’ve sort of, kind of, made a promise with my comment on Suzi’s blog that I would say something about our anniversary. Or at least I would say something about being married 22 years. Well, I’ve told her many times that I love her, so that is nothing novel, or special enough to include in an anniversary blog, even though it’s true. And I’ve told her numerous times how I’m grateful for her devotion and care and good-naturedness and positive attitude and her commitment to our Lord.

So on this special day, I will simply say: thanks for spending the day with me. As a result of our hectic lives we can easily race past each other and exchange only a handful of words and glances. But today was different. We actually spent the entire day together. We walked the dog together. We showered together—no scratch that, I was playing with my camera downloading pictures to the computer while she was cleaning up after our long walk. (That reminds me I never did make it to the showers today. I apologize right now to my loving wife and comment to any readers that you should be grateful you are only reading this and no smell-o-rama has been incorporated to my blog.) Now where were we? We walked together, then we prepared ourselves for one of Tim’s favorite annual events, the Minneapolis-St. Paul Home Tour. Now in its 18th year, Tim (I’m again sorry, this time for referring to my self in the 3rd person, I hate when people do that) has managed to take in at least a few houses almost every year. I enjoy this so much more than the annual metro wide Parade of Homes, which features only new homes. The MSP Homes Tour features homes restored and actually lived in. And the variety and charm and character are endless. I could go on but this is supposed to be about our anniversary.

And then we came home and spent time talking with our son Mark and eating French Silk pie, wondering where we should go for supper. Being the slacker that I am, I did not make reservations anywhere. This meant we were somewhat limited, being a Saturday night and the day before Mother’s Day. So off to Red Lobster we went. We gazed into each others eyes (at least during commercials—they stuck us in the old sports bar section with all the TVs on the walls and the Twins on the tube), until Suzi glanced out the window and saw my brother Greg and his wife. They were visiting this place for the first time since they were dating 17 years ago. Kari hates seafood, but her sister was joining them for the meal and she loves seafood and her sister is older and wiser and more persuasive.

But it’s been a whole day together. And now as I sit here at the keyboard, this is the first time we’ve been separated today. And it’s been a good day. Suzi you’ve been great company, a worthy companion, and lots of fun.

I guess I’m glad that my one true love is also my best friend. Thanks honey.

Now if you’d like to do some more stuff together, I suppose you could start by editing my blog. Or it just turned 10:00, we’re not sure where the kids are, we could just go to bed.

Thanks for a wonderful day.

1 comments:

Suzi said...

It was my pleasure to spend the day with you, honey. Thank you for a fun time and for taking a shower yesterday. I love you forever and ever.
Kisses, Suzi