Monday, October 31, 2005

Extra Hour?

I really thought that with an extra hour this weekend I would find something new posted on my blog. But last time the Warden checked there was nothing there. Kind of spoookey, isn’t it? Almost scary. Did it disappear? Or did I simply not write anything?

Now I’m confused. My son Mark is all dressed up in black this evening. He’s covered from head to toe in black silk, with black netting over his face. I get this feeling that somewhere somehow someone is celebrating a birthday. Is he wearing this to scare off the constant flow of urchins that keep ringing our door bell? Or is he celebrating someone’s 40-something birthday? He won’t say. All he does is howl.

The howling increases in frequency and volume as he nears the front door and the huge bowl of M&Ms. I wonder if he is guarding them. Staring at them has given me the munchies. But I dare not sneak any, lest the Warden threaten me. Those are for the kids she might say. Or why don’t you have some chips or Cheetoes instead?

There’s probably a good reason she has Mr. Black guarding the front door. I decide to retreat to my office where I suddenly remember a private stash of chocolate hidden near the back of the middle drawer of my desk, the last remaining vestiges of my red valentine heart-shaped box. A piece of dark chocolate filled with creamy nougat and a hint of nut was still there to tempt me. And so it goes, I wait until the holiday synonymous with candy to finish off my box. But it tasted oh so fine. I even think it was safe. If not, I may not blog for a while.

0 comments: