Sunday, October 09, 2005

Toot, toot

Reading church history is an eye-opening experience. I started a new book recently and was glancing through the early pages where the author was setting the stage by mentioning the major shifts in the development of what we call Christianity. He wrote of the significant change that took place around the year 1500 when the ancient or medieval world gave way to a more modern one. And of course one of the main characters (in deed a primary player and cause) during this monumental move was Martin Luther. In many ways, he straddled the ancient and modern worlds, living in both while being pivotal in bringing about much change. Still a product of the medieval world, he was very much in tune with the spiritual realm, battling evil and the demonic whenever and however he could. But my eyes were opened by his manly technique. Being the student of Scripture, tradition, law, and cuisine that he was, he was willing and able to use his masculine gifts. To ward off evil spirits, especially in the middle of the night, he often resorted to flatulence.

Now there’s a man I can respect and seek to emulate. Now if I can only find a way to bring these new insights to my wife, I’ll be pleased (or at least relieved.)

3 comments:

TKls2myhrt said...

Martin Luther rocks! I think that learning about Martin Luther before reading his Large Catechism (and other works) puts things in a new perspective. I found it helpful to read his works by picturing him as just an ordinary sinner, man, pastor, father, husband, being used by God to accomplish extraordinary things. It is amazing how relevant his life and writings are still today.

Your Tim(e) Has Come said...

Not only does Luther rock, but his bed probably did too. About reading Luther, I still remember taking a class about 10 years ago on Luther where we had to read Lull's 1000+ page edition of Luther's "Basic Theological Writings." I would read in my big, brown Lazy boy chair and frequently burst out laughing. My kids, then quite young, would run over and ask my repeatedly, "What's so funny, dad?" It was usually tough to explain to pre-schoolers and grammar school kids why something would tickle my funny bone. But he definitely wrote with a zest for life (and beer and all that that provides.)

Cheri said...

Daniel guffawed when he read your blog.
Better than other noises he makes. I never realized he was just following the example of Martin Luther.