Saturday, January 22, 2005

It’s about Time

I finally get to do some serious shoveling. Smile. I hope I remember how. Let’s see. Set shovel on pavement, push, lift, and flick. Repeat. Yeah, I think I’ve got it.

I started my work van and left it run while I did my shoveling. It gives my tools and materials a chance to thaw out on my drive to work. But what it also did was bring my mind back to one of my all time favorite ads in the newspaper. Actually, I think it was a magazine, for I don’t think any editor would have allowed this piece in a local newspaper.

The ad was in black and white and was a drawing, as opposed to a photograph, of this marvelous invention. The item for sale was a tube to attach to your vehicle’s exhaust pipe. Its purpose was to melt the snow in your driveway so you wouldn’t have to shovel. This long black tube was at least 10 foot and had a nice attachment at the end to widen it much like a vacuum machine’s accessory. The guy using it had a big grin on his face. He was saving his back by merely holding this hose down on the pavement.

My first thought when first seeing this ad was that it was a hoax or parody. But as I examined the numbers and the publication in which it appears, it sure seems legit. So I ordered one and would like to use it this morning, but I can’t find it out in the garage. Does anyone have one which I can borrow?

0 comments: