Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Reaching a Milestone?

It’s hard to believe that the Blizzard is only 20 years old. Yeah, that Blizzard, the one that Dairy Queen has a registered trademark on. It says so right on their cups. I have now consumed two Blizzards in two days which makes me wonder how many I’ve enjoyed these past twenty years. My favorites have changed over time. This past month I’ve been hooked on the French Silk Pie one, probably logging about 7 or 8 during the past 30 days. I did try the Key Lime Pie. It too was wonderful, but about 2/3 of the way through I had had enough. Of course, I still finished it, but I wasn’t craving it to the last drop. Some of my favorites throughout the years have been (1) the ever faithful Mud Pie Blizzard, especially when they add enough coffee, (2) the chocolate chip cookie dough, (3) the Strawberry Cheesequake, (4) and the Mocha Chip.

I was trying to figure out if I am nearing some important milestone in Blizzard consumption. McDonalds always keeps track of stuff like that, over 99 billion served, etc. My Blizzard buying, however, is not consistent which makes it so much harder to figure. Some months, believe it or not, I never darken the doors of DQ. But then some weeks, I’ll visit more days than not. So what would be a good figure? Actually, my figure would probably be a lot better if I stayed clear of the place. I suppose on average I visit about once every other week. That would make it about 25 times per year. Multiplied out, that works out to be about 500 times in 20 years. And seeing that I usually order a Blizzard, I’ll take that number and boldly claim that DQ has now served Tim 500 Blizzards. Wow, how’s that for a snow job.

Going back in time without adequate records, makes me think of a Jewish friend who attended our wedding. I think he was quite serious when he told me that it was a Jewish tradition (at least in his branch and family) to put a quarter in a jar in your bedroom each time you made love with your wife during the first year of marriage. Then as the second year begins, you can start taking the quarters out. Well, needless to say we never did adopt this Jewish tradition. (It’s always hard to find loose change when you need it.) But I always think of his suggestion when I drive by his house. And I lament my lack of good record keeping. But I know that our first year’s investment would not have adequately funded the following years.

It’s kind of like that with Blizzards. If only I could have set aside a quarter for each DQ treat, I could weather the Minnesota summers a little better. For when July chokes us with heat and humidity, the only appropriate antidote is a Blizzard.

0 comments: