Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I think I ate a rare chocolate

I've written before about how I think the Japanese have the best chocolates. This evening I was getting my chocolate fix when I popped open a small box of chocobaby nuggets. They do look a little like mouse turds, but the taste well makes up for any such association.

On the box one notices that a few of these little mini-bite-size pieces have a gold star on them. I estimate that about one in ten have this special mark. However, before I even noticed any of these markings I grabbed a handful and popped them into my mouth. Only after it was too late did I notice that one of them had a perfectly formed smiley face in yellowish-gold. But it was now past my tongue and into my tummy. I didn't think that this might be a very special chunk of candy. But maybe it was. I searched in vain for another smiley among the 100 or so little chocolate pieces.

Maybe I could have have won some special Japanese version of a Willy Wonka tour. But without an ability to read those funny looking characters, I'll just have to hope that I didn't eat away my chance at financial security when I chomped on that little brown critter.

Maybe our favorite Japanese student can fill us in on the wonders of chocobaby someday. For me it's now time to find some good instant java to accompany my little treat. Posted by Picasa

0 comments: