Monday, January 23, 2006

Trying to feel the Blues

I read in today’s newspaper that this very day is the gloomiest day of the year. I forget exactly how they figured it, but it has to do with amount of sunlight, distance from Christmas, and a few other factors. For the happiest day of the year statistically we’ll have to wait until June 23rd.

On a related note, the sermon at our church yesterday was on the related topic of depression, presented by an M.D. in our congregation. (I don’t know if the leadership at church timed his message to correspond with today’s special date or not.) So depression has been on my mind these past few days.

However, for some odd reason I can’t relate right now. I worked a mere eight hours today, came home, tried to catch up on paper work on my desk, gave up, went to the Lazy boy, pickup up a book ,read a few pages, fell asleep, woke up with my wife’s nudging, ate some meatballs and rice, snuck some (well more than some, actually quite a few) Hershey’s chocolates, drank some coffee, grabbed my iPod, and headed out into the cold to my brother’s accounting office to work on year end stuff like W-2s and 1099s. And as I sped (but well within the legal speed limit) down highway 100 passing cars doing only 80! (kph, that is, told you I was being good), the snow started lightly falling. And it was beautiful. And the roads were quite good. And I had the stereo cranked with a mixture of my favorites. And I was feeling so great I almost felt guilty about it.

So was it the 25 byte sized chocolates? Or was I just being a counter balance to all those who were in a funk today? I don’t know. But I was feeling great this evening and I actually finished with my official tax documents earlier than I ever have been in my life. It is only January 23rd.

What will I do for the rest of the week? I hope I don’t get down for lack of anything to do.

Yikes! Scratch that thought, I just glanced back over at my desk, the one that has just enough room for this one keyboard. (The mouse has to sit on another table.) But even the huge pile of papers hasn't got me down.

But for those who are stuck with the blues right now, I hope and pray that this will be the down-est day of the year, and the days to follow will begin to improve and continue to flourish.

0 comments: