Sunday, January 22, 2006

# 2 -- I was on television once

In my younger grade school days I used to tell people that I have been on television. I would wait until they were duly impressed before I would let on that I was speaking about my family’s personal TV, the one that sat in the living room, the one that had a quality cabinet built around it, the one that would hold a 70 pound boy. Sure I should have thrown in an indefinite article to speak more properly about my feat, but hey that wouldn’t have quite worked to gain people’s astonishment.

But as I aged to that ripe old year of 14, I actually did appear on television. And it wasn’t my parent’s this time. I was actually on the tube in the greater Minot, ND metropolitan area. I had my 15 seconds of fame as they actually brought TV cameras to record a game between the Crystal, MN Babe Ruth Senators and the Minot Babe Ruth all-stars. Somehow I managed to get a hit that night and it was recorded for all those watching the city’s (I think) sole television station’s evening news to enjoy.

That was a great evening. I think we won the game. It was mid-June, so some teammates and I were able to walk from one end of the town to the other around 11 p.m. and still have daylight. That was cool. And even cooler than that was I got to hear a new song that weekend. The host family’s kid just purchased Deep Purple’s latest album and played “Smoke on the Water” over and over and over. I now also take pride in the fact that I can still play this awesome rock anthem on the guitar even to this day. (This is an extra little known fact thrown in for free.)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Why the heck am I blogging about this? I was tagged a while back with the assignment to name five things that people do not know about me. Of course I hated to rush into this to quickly. I responded back in December with one earth shattering revelation, the fact that I was tagged. Well, I guess this makes the TV disclosure number 2. (“Smoke on the Water” is number 2.25.)

2 comments:

TKls2myhrt said...

Wow, you'll win an award for taking the longest to respond, and finish, a tag. And to top it off, you're coming up with very original facts! That is a cool story.

Cheri said...

To think we have been related all these years and I didn't know you could play the guitar.

Next time we come over, you'll have to serenade us.