Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Apologies to My Fellow Minnesotans


Like millions of my neighbors and comrades, I awoke this morning to actual temps nearing minus 20 degrees Fahrenheit. With the winds factored in it is downright scary out there. My nose hairs froze before I could reach my cold work van. I dressed in my best painter’s pants again today, planning to apply drywall compound at many different locations. I thought I would once again drive my big cube van around this fair city burning my share of fossil fuels today.

However. (Kind of becoming the story or theme of this blog.)

I decided to stop in at my mother’s accounting office first this morning, and put in an hour of so of work. NOT. I’m still here--seven hours later, crunching the numbers.

The reason for my apology? I have not done my fair share of trying to warm up this ice box. (International Falls might be the official ice box of the nation, but we’re not too far behind here.) So, I’m sitting here inside. . . Parked in the driveway is an idled V-8 engine that could easily have burned up 10 gallons of gas today.

So friends, Minnesotans, countrymen, get in your cars. We need to bury winter, lest we get further buried. In my place I ask that you acquire that fuel while you can and burn baby burn.

3 comments:

Your Tim(e) Has Come said...

Sad story. My daughter must have read my blog today. When I arrived home I found the garage door to our heated garage wide open. Said daughter had borrowed my truck one hour earlier and failed to watch the door go all the way down. (On these cold days, the door sticks about half the time.) It went back up, so for an hour I was heating the northwest suburbs of Minneapolis.

Dear daughter, don't always listen to your dad.

Cheri said...

I'll try to burn a bunch of carbon tomorrow between here and there.

Maybe that will help.

Your Tim(e) Has Come said...

We'll take all the help we can get.