Tuesday, August 31, 2004

The Great Divorce

After nearly 30 years the "Divorce" is finally completed. I can't believe it took me so long. I started reading C. S. Lewis's works in earnest back in my high school and college days and for some strange reason I skipped one book that I should never have avoided. I didn't stay away from it for any particular reason. Maybe the premise seemed a little bit hokey--a fantasy bus ride. I never was a fan of buses. But I guess I just felt that other works were more worth my time. I was wrong. I recommend it highly and hope to read it again soon.

The bug was put in my ear this summer at Cornerstone as I listened to lectures by the Zorba the Greek English professor from Texas. It was one of his favorites, and his constant references to it whetted my appetite. So I ordered it through Amazon.com's used book section for a mere two dollars. Three bucks shipping, but hey, what a deal. Cheri would be proud. Well, maybe not, I could have gone to the library. But I'm learning.

Lewis claims his book to be, in one sense, a rebuttal to William Blake's Marriage of Heaven and Hell. Thus the title. He paints a wonderful picture of the difference between good and evil, Heaven and Hell, joy and self-absorption. He describes life as a series of choices between forks in the road. Real choices with real consequences. Not all are between good and evil, some are between good and better. But nonetheless, there are definite moral outcomes with each choice. Bad choices don't (merely in time) start melding into good, corrective action must be taken. Wrong or bad choices necessitate a reversal or repentance. So much for dry analysis.

While begging his readers to not forget THIS IS ONLY A FANTASY, and asking them not to see this as a speculation on what Heaven is actually like, he presents us with some wonderfully vivid pictures of the differences between good and bad, and makes good so appealing. Those who are drawn toward God develop a substance and weight and brightness to them, while those focusing on themselves continue shrinking into nothingness, until their shadowy selves can barely be seen.

Lewis's teacher in Heaven is the Scotchman George MacDonald. He leads Lewis around and helps him notice things he normally wouldn't. Near the middle of the book, MacDonald answers Lewis' concern about those who never get the chance to ride this mythical omnibus to heaven. He claims that "everyone who wishes [to ride the bus] does. Never fear. There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.' All that are in Hell, choose it. Without that self-choice there could be no Hell. No soul that seriously and constantly desires joy will ever miss it. Those who seek find. To those who knock it is opened."

I think that displays a pretty good summary of the heart of this book. We can either run toward God or away from Him. The joyous benefits are found in the former. The temptations of the latter are numerous and often seem right, but they reduce us to nothing of value or substance.
It's been a good reminder for me to choose wisely. I'm glad I chose to finish the book.

1 comments:

Cheri said...

Congratulations on finishing the book and on your steps toward tightwadism.

My personal goal is to become a blackbelt tightwad.