Sunday, August 15, 2004

New Best Friend

I don’t know how he did it, but his heroic act has seized my loyalty. I know weddings can be important, but so are other things, like almost anything else. I’ve dropped hints for many weeks now that spending a beautiful summer Saturday indoors was not at the top of my list of pleasurable activities. I had tried to find excuses that might be palatable to her, the Warden. But to no avail. Then out of the blue, came a heavenly suggestion. “What would you think if Lis and I went to the wedding ourselves,” said the Swansmith. Since Lis’ husband wears the pants in the house and knows when to say no to certain activities, I figured he had pulled some strings and gotten us free. I have a new best friend, I thought. He’s a miracle worker.

It was only later that I found out the suggestion came from the “better half.” Lis was responsible. Should she be my new best friend? After only a little contemplation, I realized that would not go over well with the Warden.

I will only be able to harbor gratitude within for a gesture much appreciated. And our dog Raven will have to remain my best friend.

6 comments:

Suzi said...

So I am your best ........spouse?

Suzi said...

Can't say marriage partner, because that implies weddings.......and.....oh, I think you did show up on that fateful day in 1983......was that so life changing that you can't face a wedding without complaining since then?

Just wondering.......

The Warden, the Wife

Your Tim(e) Has Come said...

I love you honey. That was a GOOD wedding. I knew the bride and groom.

Your Tim(e) Has Come said...

The Warden, the Wife, the Wonderful, the Wondering One:

Did you remember to bring home some cake for me?

Suzi said...

Sorry honey--maybe I can bake you a cake later :)

The wife, the warden

Suzi said...

PS I love you too :)