Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Book Two

Book Two, I guess I’m doing this chronologically. Hearing of Ken Taylor’s death yesterday (or this morning, it’s been a long day), I’m reminded of my old Living Bible in high school. I had grown up reading mostly the KJV and Revised Standard Version, and I had always enjoyed reading the Scriptures. But when I started reading the Living Letters (and then the entire Bible) in that paraphrase, it brought a new joy and excitement to the text. I’ve come across those who like to dis versions that are not “real” translations throughout the years, and I like to hear the majesty of Shakespearean English myself at times, but there is something challenging and fresh when I hear God’s word in my own more casual vernacular. That’s what the Living Bible has done so well over the past few decades.

More recently, I’ve come to appreciate Eugene Peterson’s translation, The Message, even more. But Ken Taylor’s work was ground-breaking. I know most purists would disagree, but I think the spirit of the text is often matched better by works like Peterson’s or Taylor’s than the sometimes too wooden translations done by committee. Thank you Ken. May you enjoy the company of the Living Word.

1 comments:

Your Tim(e) Has Come said...

I guess I should have read my wife's blog first. It seems like Mr. Taylor checked in for his Heavenly reward on June 10th. What great things I would learn if only I would read her blog in a more timely fashion.

So how was the food at that Guyaquil Restaurant?