Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The Quest for pie can be a beautiful thing

This evening, partly as a result of being childless and partly as a result of now having a “working” wife, we had our second night in a row of left-overs for supper. And actually both experiences were very satisfying. But following dinner, I revisited a craving that I’ve been harboring deep inside for the past several days. I suppose it started last Friday or Saturday when I visited Baker’s Square pie shop and came out with a pie different from the one I had in mind as I entered. I walked in with French Silk on the brain and left with a Key Lime in my hand. Now don’t get me wrong, I also love Key Lime pie. And because it was hot outside Key Lime sounded refreshing, and the KL pie was a dollar cheaper, but most of all I knew my wife would probably prefer the KL to the FS. So in a noble altruistic act, I bought the Key Lime and denied myself the French Silk. It did make points. And it was very good.

But . . . . even while eating the Key Lime, I couldn’t completely repress the cravings for that chocolate, cholesterol-laden wonder.

So tonight, off we went. To the pie shop. In a hurry. Without out grabbing my camera. Hoping that they hadn’t sold out for the night.

I often times toss my camera in the car if we’re out for a drive, not wanting to miss an opportunity for an interesting shot. Well, did I ever blow it tonight. This evening’s sky was one so filled with color and drama that I almost lost my craving for pie!!!!

The clouds were layered, almost striped, alternating with the bluish background. The different sections of clouds varied in color from bright white to varying pales of pink to all shades of gray to stark black. And then the blues between the clouds ranged from light pastel to an almost navy dark blue. The clouds themselves varied from wispy light streaks to billowy marshmallow type pillows. And all of this was punctuated by the reason behind all the color, Mr. Sun. At first we couldn’t see our neighborhood star directly, because of the clouds. But then as we climbed an incline approaching a bridge, the solar presence became evident. The bottom one fifth, or so, was hanging down below the clouds and it was RED, yes with capital letters. It truly was on fire. It was hanging only degrees above the horizon, and I was becoming concerned about the trees that were reaching up to touch that red ball.

I wish I could have captured that on film or memory card. But instead it will have to live on only etched in my memory. But it serves as a reminder that going out for pie can be a very beautiful thing indeed.

0 comments: