Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The Eighth Month

As a believer that most good things begin in August, today’s special day is a testimony to that conviction. Early on I knew that August was good. August is the month when I first got to experience fresh air, fresh milk, and a gentle touch. August is the month when the average daily high temperatures begin to fall. And August is the month we get to send the children back to school. It’s definitely a good month. But Augusts have not only been great since 1958. My life has been immensely enhanced by a union that began on this date even prior to ‘58. That union brought forth a treasure which has deeply enriched my life. My wife’s parents tied the knot back when Elvis was king and went on to devote their lives to raising four great kids. Their finest achievement, though, came second.

And while I’m most grateful for their gift of number two, I’m grateful for them too. They are by far the best in-laws I’ve even had. (With their heightened sense of humor, they even laugh at my bad jokes [does that assume that I have good jokes?]. And puns don’t even make them groan.) I admire their adventurous spirits, their vibrant faith, their thoughtful concern, their youthful attitudes, and mature insights. When I think that my better half might grow into what they have become, I get even more excited for our days ahead. (Besides, if it weren’t for my wife, I would not even be blogging.)

The common perception in comedy writing and on the small screen is that the farther away the in-laws the better. But in my case this is definitely not true. I wish the miles between us were fewer. For they have become more than just relatives to me. Thankfully the ever progressing advances of technology have softened the distances somewhat. And who knows, maybe in a few years, at the current pace of advances, they will be able to jump out of my computer screen.

Thank you for the fine example you’ve set. I’m hoping that your number two can also put up with me for 52 years.

0 comments: