Friday, December 09, 2005

For the love of lions

I have this strong controlling feeling welled up inside me, because I know the answer to my question. And you don’t. But it’s time I swallow my you-know-what and let on to the answer I had in mind. As I’ve said, I’m not completely convinced that this answer is definitive, but I can’t come up with a better one. It seems to capture underneath its umbrella of influence those other "deadly" sins, such as selfishness and apathy and inaction and a whole host of other no-noes. (I need to consult Dan Quayle to see if I should have put an “e” in that last word of the previous sentence.) But as far as the king of transgressions, the opposite of love, that’s what I had in mind. Or I should say that’s what this John Boykin character had in mind in his book. And it seems to make sense.

5 comments:

Suzi said...

Wow, I just realized the opposite of love can relate to two movies out there--"XXXXX" and Prejudice and The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. Although Aslan didn't really belong to a group of them.
Also, "XXXXX" goeth before a fall.
Thought you're readers needed just a bit more of a clue since you've been so coy with them.
The Warden

Cheri said...

That does make sense. As it states in I Cor. 13: 'Love is not proud'
Course it also is not a few other things.....rude, self-seeking, boastful....

TKls2myhrt said...

I know it probably not the exact opposite of love, but the way you describe it, you make me think of narcissism: A psychological condition characterized by self-preoccupation, lack of empathy, and unconscious deficits in self-esteem.

Your Tim(e) Has Come said...

Narcissism would be a great answer, except it's too hard to spell.

TKls2myhrt said...

And isn't that a sad commentary of our current American culture! ;)

Seriously, I've heard narcissism used as a root explanation of much of the draw for h@m@sexu@l acts. I believe Dobson may be where I have read that. And in that sense, narcissism would be the opposite of selfless and giving love between husband and wife, caring more about the other and yet ultimately getting love back in return.