Sunday, December 11, 2005

Trying to Stay Focused on One Line of Reasoning or Getting Distracted and Going Completely Different Directions Because You Forgot what Your original

Point Was Or Something Like That


I had thought about flushing out some of Boykin’s thinking in setting the p-word as the antithesis of love. And then in turn I had thought about asking myself how that all relates to the two great commandments (love God—love neighbor) and then how those two relate to each other.

But then I got distracted. Saturday’s Minneapolis StarTribune, in its Faith and Values section, had an interesting article about a local author’s connection to last month’s (I think it was then) electrocution of the Texas pastor. Being Baptist, this pastor had stepped into a large tank of water on the podium to baptize a congregant. When he reached for the cordless microphone something went terribly wrong and he died shortly thereafter.

I had heard a brief description of this event, but the article did a good job filling in some of the details surrounding that fateful day. The theme for the day (and subsequent month) at this church was based on Terry Esau’s book “Surprise Me.” The church was to start a 30-day faith experiment. Each day they were to ask God for a surprise and then log (or maybe even blog, although it doesn’t say that in the article and this is merely my editorial comment perhaps as a way to relieve tension when discussing a very somber event as some are apt to do when they face issues of ultimate importance and aren’t quite sure how to deal with them or even if they want to deal with them so then they change the topic or try to make a joke out of it even though they mean no disrespect) their experience.

Of course no one foresaw the tragedy of that morning, but the very theme of the day begs the question of God’s involvement. And this question is actually the main focus of Boykin’s book “The Gospel of Coincidence,” which raised that initial question of love’s opposite. This book, now out-of-print and commanding some decent prices on e-bay (like $ 50, I should have invested in copies of this book instead of Enron), does a great job of posing some intriguing and ancient questions and an even greater job of alienating most of his “friends” with his answers. (I’m still surprised that Zondervan would publish it.)

His argument in a nutshell (although I know this is an oversimplification) is that God works primarily through people’s hearts and minds without undue coercion and not by micromanaging every detail of the universe. Most “happenings” of this world are the results of free people acting to cause them. Taking people’s free will out of the equation or focusing too much on a divine preference for everything is tantamount to reading tea leaves. Taken to its extreme (where people spend too much time and energy trying to discern God’s will for everything, e.g. a preferred parking spot for them) ultimately leads one to inaction in the “things that really matter” and things that are clear to us.

I haven’t come to any firm decisions on the arguments he presents, but I did have fun reading the book and I think he provides a healthy balance to those who venture too close to a deterministic view of the world. And since people have argued this issue from the beginning of time, and I’m sure not going to come up with any original insights, it’s probably time to quit typing and do something productive, like reading (at least I didn’t say TV.)

6 comments:

Cheri said...

Okay, okay. I will no longer complain about your lack of blogging.

For when you do blog, you make me think. When I'd rather not.

Not only do you make me think, you provide me with some wonderful examples of run-on sentences that I can use with my homeschooled son Daniel to provide him with examples of how not to write or at the very least how not to title a blog should he ever choose to start one as well as affirming the statement if you can't be a good example you can at least be an effective warning.

That is very unselfish of you.
:)

Your Tim(e) Has Come said...

I will blog again after I have completely diagrammed that last sentence of your comment. It might be weeks.

Your Tim(e) Has Come said...

I meant to say the "second to last" sentence.

Suzi said...

Another take on Cheri's comments is that no life is wasted, it can always serve as a bad example.
But at least your blog, run on though it may be, is being read.
And linked to.
And pondered.
And liked.
:)
The non-jealous Warden
Who can't be jealous cause she is so lucky to be married to such a marvel of a blogging husband.
Or something like that.
See, I may not write run-ons, but I can write sentence fragments.

Cheri said...

I'm not sure if even your homey Garrison could diagram those sentences.

Please blog again soon. I'm starting to get used to thinking again.

Pat appreciates this.

Cheri said...

I would like to make a comment that you have had a lot of comments this week.

Without even offering a prize.

How do you do it?

And what do you think of the picture of our firstborn and his wife on my blog? (Shameless attempt to generate more comments)