Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Blobjects not underlined in Red

What is a blobject? What’s a blobject worth? Why does my spell check continue to underline blobject with a red line? How many sentences can I use in a row with the word “blobject?” This reminds me of my days in high school German class. The teacher was fond of asking students to use the current week’s German vocabulary words in a sentence. My eager response was usually, “Was Bedeutet (the word in question)?, i.e. what is the meaning of. . . ” Of course I had to be the first one to use that trick each time, because once it was used it was not allowed for the other students. So back to the subject, was bedeutet blobject? I thought I was being original and making up a new word. But no such luck. The word has been around for a while.

According to the web site www.wordspy.com a blobject is “an object with a curvilinear, flowing design, such as the Apple iMac computer and the Volkswagen Beetle; an object with a dull or unremarkable design.” In July of 2000 Chris Allbritton wrote that "Apple's designs, envisioned by Jonathon Ive, Apple's lead designer, have not only changed the look of computing but spilled out into the rest of society, almost single-handedly starting the 'blobject' craze for curvy, organic items." The Word Spy found the word blobject first used in an article from the widely-read, critically-acclaimed Plastic News way back in 1995. Subscriptions can be purchased through Cooper High School Band glee club.

The sculpture Blobject by Karim Rashid, artist and designer commonly credited with coining the term, can be purchased for a mere $325.00. Not bad for a lump of plastic. I would put a picture of this character on my blog site, but I hate to scare the faint at heart. You can check it out yourself at www.karimrashid.com. His words of wisdom are that “If freedom were a form it would be a never-ending undulating boundless biomorphic shape that is in perpetual motion. Form follows Fluid.” So if freedom’s not just another word for nothin’ left to do, then maybe it’s something or someone with ants in their pants. And you can quote me on that.

So what does all this mean? Maybe this blobject site will contain a never-ending flow of words that ebbs and flows constantly running on and on as a good run-on sentence would, pausing only occasionally to eat ice cream or French Silk pie (not that I am in any way endorsing things French) seeking after dull or unremarkably designed ways of communicating as the definition implies, until that time that I can figure out what I’m trying to say.

But then again maybe it won’t.

0 comments: