Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Reimagining

It’s always a great feeling to finish a book, but once in a while I experience a let down. Such was the case today. I won't be reading the book tomorrow, and it leaves me a little sad. I long for more. I finished this book in record time. Reimagining Spiritual Formation, written by Doug Pagitt and the people at Solomon’s Porch (a church in south Minneapolis,) is an addicting read. I was able to forsake other books for nearly a week as I turned the pages on this one. The book was especially interesting to me since I’m familiar with some of the people at the church and have attended their "gatherings" a number of times. And I can vouch for the veracity of the stories and claims.

But I think the book would have struck a chord with me even without the familiarity. I sense a wonderful balance in their approach to living and growing in faith. They embrace the arts with the sincerity of a tradition-rich Anglican church while emphasizing relationships like a close-knit small town fellowship. The book is patterned after a typical week in the life of their church. The chapters are tied to the days of the week which are then linked to seven ways they seek to practice spiritual formation. The seven means are through worship, physicality, dialogue, hospitality, belief, creativity, and service. Although this list may sound predictable and even trite, their stories of implementing spiritual growth are fascinating. Interspersed throughout the text are journal entries from people in the church relating to the topic.

In addition to being hard to put down, I found fault with little or nothing. And my usual response to most chapters was one of excitement, believing that Doug had nailed the issue with a sledgehammer right on the money. I wholeheartedly endorse the book and its commentary on today’s church. I should include some quotes, but I'm tired of typing and my wife is now here rubbing my back, which reminds me. . . I’m starting to figure out a few more things about blogging and setting things up. You’ve probably noticed I now have real titles for my blogs and I’m starting to figure out the comment thing.

Thank you Pat. Thank you Lori. But I must disagree with you. Lori, you are neither annoying nor obnoxious. Love and Donny Osmond to all.

0 comments: