Thursday, May 13, 2004

Community in the “non-foghornable” sense

In the immortal words of that great philosopher and Sinatraesque crooner Meatloaf, “I want you, I need you, but there ain’t to way I’m ever gonna love you, but don’t feel sad cause two outta three ain’t bad.” As a high school student that song stuck in my head less for its simple tune than its tragic message. I still haven’t figured out if the song is great parody or just plain crass. I’m not a student of Meatloaf, so it will have to remain unanswered.

This song came up tonight as Suzi and I discussed needing and wanting others and how it relates to family or church—the community of faith. This was in part inspired by that book, the Reimagining one. Written together by the pastor and several members of the church, the very process of collaborating on the text and photos is an example of how they seek spiritual formation as a community. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, and BLAH.

I’m too tired to think anymore. I was coherent earlier before Suzi and I went to see Christina in a play about WWII at her school. But now all I want to do is eat popcorn or ice cream and we don’t have any good ice cream so popcorn it will have to be.

The fog horn thing? As a loyal listener to Garage Logic on am 1500 KSTP, I am ever vigilant about not using the word “community” in a sense that would give me the fog horn. I might explain sometime later, but go to the site if you’re interested. As a custodian of the English language, the host will fog horn words that he feels have degenerated over the past decade or so. Community is one such word if it is used only to refer to a group bound together by their need to feel like victims. Make sense? It’s past my bedtime. And that darned Suzi is probably eating all my popcorn.

0 comments: