Saturday, July 10, 2004

Don’t Forget to Read This!

I forgot to blog yesterday.

And I forget why.

But as I look back through the decades I find comfort in the immortal words of that great politician, “a mind is a terrible thing to . . . to lose.” I pray that is not the case here.

My guru, if I were to have a guru, Steven Wright brings this issue to the forefront by stating that: “Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.”

So I can relate. So where was I? Hmmm. Oh, well, I could mention another seminar I attended at Cornerstone. Are we sick of Cornerstone, yet? Well, so what. Anyways, this guy Peter Chattaway from Canada gave a number of talks on memory in film, which I found to be quite intriguing. He claimed to have a terrible memory like mine, and was thus compelled to dig into the subject. He was amazed at how often memory, or the lack thereof, was used as a device to create suspense or interest in movies. Amnesia or Alzheimer’s is often used as the backdrop for the tension or conflict in a story.

I wasn’t able to attend as many of the sessions as I wanted to, and during many of them I was coming and going, so I hope that’s a fair representation of what he was saying. But one thing I was struck by is this guy’s name. I think I remember him from many years ago. Just when I think my mind is gone, I vaguely recall conversations that I had on line with this guy over a DECADE ago when I was on that primitive on-line service PRODIGY. Anyone remember that? I signed up when it was first available back in the 80s. And then I dropped it when they no longer offered unlimited time on-line. (And it’s only been recently that my wife lured me back on-line in any significant capacity. Things have changed!)

I wonder if a bad memory is related to loosing things. I often spend hours wandering around looking for things. If something is not in its proper place, I’m lost. I need categories and slots and lists and grids to function properly. Without a good filing system, I’m frustrating and beaten. (But Tim, look at your desk. . . Shut up!)

So to deal with this problem, I have implemented a policy with regard to my children. One that will help me keep track of them. The youngest, as long as I’m not wearing earplugs, is always easy to find. So no problem there. The oldest one always answers his cell phone, so he’s always only a quick call away. But that middle one is a challenge. So I’ve given him a hair cut that sets him apart in a crowd and makes him easy to spot. What do you think of my handiwork? Just today we got separated at a large home improvement store. I was able to scan the aisles, and viola, there he was, standing tall. Or should I say, hair standing tall?

Whatever.

0 comments: