Friday, July 16, 2004

Work or Play

CORRECTION: I forgot one for yesterday’s list: 10. Quit pushing my buttons. I hope to some day explain the havoc this has been creating in our world.

But for today it’s ecstasy. No, not the drug, the lifestyle. I was experiencing some this evening as I sat and then reclined out on the back screened-in porch. Temperature in the upper 70s, humidity low, breeze adequate—just a perfect evening to avoid the indoors, and specifically the computer.

As I drank in the evening air, no wait, I guess that was a cup of coffee. It sat long enough to cool, so it was a little hard to distinguish between the two. Let’s start again—as I breathed in the evening air, I overheard the sounds of the many children playing FUTBOL in the field next to our house. The church body that rents the small church building behind our house for Sunday afternoon services and reaches out primarily to “mixed families with ‘anglo’ and ‘hispanic’ spouses” was hosting a weeklong soccer camp. The entire week’s evening sessions were announced in both languages, and it looked like the kids were having a blast. I was grateful for the many adult volunteers that were running around making sure that the kids were having a good time. But at the same time I was grateful that I was able to just sit and relax. Should I have felt guilty, I don’t know. I often do when I just sit.

But I got to thinking about work and play, and the need for both. And this evening was the best “play” time I’ve had in quite a while. A book in one hand, some fine java in the other, and a comfy chair underneath. This was better than waterslides, or roller coasters, or go-karts, Tilt-a-Whirls, or (I better stop while I’m ahead.)

I even related this work-play thinking to my time now indoors. I’m at the computer. Am I playing or working? I’ve tried journaling many, many times throughout my life. I’ve had teachers and pastors and motivational speakers harp on the values of keeping a journal. And I’ve tried to endure, but always failed. And maybe this too will fail in time. But as I look back I think I’ve always perceived the task of writing as work. But maybe it’s different now. Maybe I’m trying to have fun, playing around a little.

I guess I’m trying to be disciplined about entering at least something regularly, but I’ve tried to keep my mindset away from a “work mentality.” I often think about things of substance that I should be addressing, but that sounds too much like work to me.

Maybe in time, maybe when I loose my day job, I won’t mind working so much at night at the computer.

Resume Play.

0 comments: