Saturday, June 26, 2004

Change for a story, please?

I was back in the rut of working on Saturdays this morning, driving south on the freeway when an old friend called on my cell phone. This friend has followed a similar career path and over the past two years we’ve worked together on a few remodeling projects. He called to see if I could squeeze in a small job in the next week, but with Cornerstone on the horizon I had to decline.

He then asked if he needed to update me on his truck situation. I responded that I hadn’t heard anything about his truck, but he proceeded anyways to tell me about his last week and a half and the missing truck. To make a long story short, and because of my friend’s ability to give all the sorted details and fully flush out a story, I need to drastically edit the content of his adventurous week. My friend has employed a gentleman for a short time and found him to be a good worker. He came upon hard times and needed an advance on his pay. Employer friend lent him $300; I believe to repair his vehicle. Employer friend also allowed employee to borrow his truck with its $1,500 worth of tools in the back, so that employee could finish a job over the weekend.

Employee (E) disappears. Employer Friend (EF) calls house to look into whereabouts of E. Girl friend answers, says she has not seen him because he is probably out drinking for the weekend. EF frets over what to do next. Should he call police? Is the vehicle technically stolen because he gave him the keys for him to use? Sunday arrives. EF is responsible for a big day at church, working with the kid’s programming. Should he spend the day hunting down his truck and tools or should he fulfill his obligations at church? He decides on the latter.

Sunday morning is fantastic. He and his wife are able to connect with kids that morning in a special way. After church in the parking lot, EF and wife are getting kids buckled in the car and praying about what do next. In the lot fellow congregants approach them, and through their conversations they find out that those with whom they are speaking know of E’s whereabouts. EF is then able to contact E and ask what happened.

E apologizes, but tells EF more bad news. E claims that the tools from the back of the truck were stolen. EF confronts E not primarily about the money and truck and tools, but about E’s need to turn his life around. After a lengthy heart to heart, the two pray, and E asks God to turn his life around. EF tells E that a good place to start fresh would be with a 7:00 AM phone call to EF Monday morning, to ask for a ride which EF would provide.

Monday morning arrives. 7 AM, no call. What happened to E? EF leaves for work. 7:30 cell phone rings. It’s E. You’re too late says EF. Let’s try again tomorrow. Tuesday 7 AM, E calls. “Can you pick me up?” EF complies.

Everyday through the rest of the week, even this morning (Saturday) E has called before or at 7 and held up his end of the bargain. EF is praying for and seeing evidence of a changed man.

So why do I relay this morning’s conversation with EF? I guess for a number of reasons. Number one, I admire EF for his diligence in reaching out to those who are living on the margins. I admire his willingness to take a chance with people who others avoid. I admire his willingness to look for the good in people, even though he often “gets stung.”

But second, I myself wonder where is the proper place to draw the line between being naïve and being one who cares for those needing extra attention. I even joke with him sometimes about his good-heartedness and where it leads him. It sure makes life interesting, but I ask myself if I need the extra “headaches” that such choices bring. Besides, I’ve got teen-agers.

Third, I know that Christ calls us to love others as we have been loved by Him. And love is more than just warm feelings; it requires action, a response on our part. Who am I to love? Love God, love you neighbor. Can these two primary commandments be separated? Is my love for the Almighty real if I despise my neighbor? Or even if I ignore him? My love for God needs to take a physical form.

So what will happen to E? I don’t know. My skeptical side (often labeled realism) questions whether change will be lasting. However, I know that it’s possible. God does transform lives. But He’s got His work cut out for Himself, for He works with some pretty stubborn, selfish, slow-to-learn characters. My self included.

A fourth reason I wanted to tell the above story is that Cornerstone is coming; and to me C-stone is stories. I’ve got so many to tell from the ten years we’ve attended. C-stone has a surplus of people who make for great stories. It is a creative place that breeds stories of interest by virtue of the motley crowds that show up each year.

1 comments:

Suzi said...

Way to go EF! Maybe you should change his code name to EFU: Example For Us.