Friday, June 04, 2004

Chip’s Challenge

Congratulations also go out to Inga, who shared the stage with Luke and about 800 others last night at Cooper High School. I didn’t want to slight her in yesterday’s blog, but I wanted Luke to receive a special individual blessing from me. (Inga’s graduation here in the states will count for high school credit back home, so she will be able to start college in the fall.) Suzi and I are also proud of you Inga. So now I charge both of you to go forth and . . .

Remember playing a computer game called Chip’s Challenge a few years back. I think it was packaged along with other Microsoft games, but I forget now. It was basically a series of mazes, levels one to who knows how many. Each time you conquered a level, you moved on to the next, slightly more difficult level. Chip was a computer chip who had to find other computer chips within the allotted time limit. Each new level brought more obstacles and fresh new situations. I don’t remember if the game came with directions. I think it did, but they didn’t come close to spelling out all the different scenarios Chip would face. You had to remember what worked from previous levels and use these as clues to what you were facing in the higher levels.

This game reminds me a lot of life. Each new day brings us something different, 90 percent or more of what we face each day is familiar and we know how to handle it just fine. But there’s always a little bit new: challenging, adventurous, confusing, disheartening—things that are beyond us. We need to look for advice from others. Each new level makes us realize that we probably can’t do this on our own. At least I found that to be the case.

I would leave you with advice from Barbra Streisand (people who need people are the luckiest people in the world), but I’m not a big fan of hers and I think I can find something more poignant from a much better source—a fellow Minnesotan to boot—Bob Dylan. I’m not original in leaving this with high school graduates. A former teacher of the year from Brainerd, MN Guy Dowd would actually sing this to his graduating seniors. If you want to hear me sing this, you’llbe waiting an awfully long time, but here goes.

May God bless and keep you always,
May your wishes all come true,
May you always do for others
And let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous,
May you grow up to be true,
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you.
May you always be courageous,
Stand upright and be strong,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.

May your hands always be busy,
May your feet always be swift,
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful,
May your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.

Copyright © 1973 Ram's Horn Music
Columbia Records, Bob Dylan

And now, Luke and Inga, I leave you with a final word (my two chips worth) to put the above in perspective. A local pastor continually reminds his people that “God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.” I heartily agree and encourage you two to live your lives with that in mind. So Luke and Inga, as you pursue the desires of your heart, always abide in Him, remembering that true contentment and true joy will result from a life thus lived. And that will bring glory to God.

0 comments: