Tuesday, June 01, 2004

The Joys of Blogging

I’m into my second month of blogging now. I actually have more than one entry in the archive section. I have given people a choice: paper or plastic, coffee or tea, May or June. Some day I might even be legit. Not that I know what it takes to be legit, but I think the Warden is legitimate by now, with her you can choose 2003 or 2004.

I think I’m enjoying this. It’s a lot less stressful than writing term papers. No grades, no deadlines, no topic, no grammar. I guess it’s like Outback Steakhouse, no rules, just right. Or should that be WRITE?

While cleaning this past weekend I came across a small piece of chalky paper with a bunch of small type-written letters on it. Those under 30 probably wouldn’t know what it is. It was used as a white out for typos. Backspace, insert chalky pad (white side in), retype mistaken letter, backspace, retype correct letter. Oops, that’s not even a word. Man, when are they going to invent computers so I can tuype oein hundreid wurds a minnut and hav sum program correct everything for mee.

Yea, so I’m jealous of current college students. Term paper rewrites in 10 minutes flat. But they probably envy us dinosaurs who have had endless chances to build character into our lives as we filled up our wastebaskets with imperfect reams of paper.

I had a little surprise last night related to blogging. I had noticed that some joker, who uses the same blogspot site that I do, had started an Andy Kaufman Returns blog. He basically wrote as if he were the late comedian coming back after 20 years of death, or faking death. It was a clever idea, but he didn’t execute (no pun intended) it that well. Some blogs were funny and he was able to get a lot of people responding, but it got old after a while. Anyways, I sent this info along to fellow fan of Andy Kaufman. Not only had he heard about this, but he pointed me to a website which deals with internet hoaxes and urban myths. They even had a full page response denying the rumor that this blog’s claims were true.

YIKES. People actually read these things. Kind of makes you wonder. Is television these days really that bad? Why would people inflict this drivel upon themselves? I’ll leave that for the shrinks to figure out.

0 comments: