Saturday, June 19, 2004

Top this David Letterman

Happy birthday Inga.

The Warden and I had a wonderful lunch at Byerly’s restaurant this afternoon. After work we both had errands to run so we did them together and decided to catch a meal in between. Our discussion actually turned a little “deeper” than usual, discussing items of substance rather than what have our kids “gotten into now.” The challenge from the Swanster, jot down a few things of substance. So Tim, always up for a dare decided to answer the call. My response to the challenge: I’ll make a list, maybe with ten items. Here goes.

1. Breakfast is a very important meal. It’s essential that everyone partake. Besides what better excuse can you find to use lots and lots of syrup?
2. Coffee is good. And we should probably substitute more superlative adjectives to that statement. Soda or pop or soft drinks or Coke (not wanting to exclude Southerners), with sugar or fake sugar is bad.
3. Brush your teeth. Dentists are expensive and their rates will only go up. Plus I’ve been gifted (or cursed) with a great nose (for smelling that is, but thanks for the complements about how well it looks on my face.)
4. There is no way in hell—well maybe in hell—but there is no way on earth that I can look around at anything and not see a wonderful, very creative design behind this world in which we live. Whether I stare at a tree or animal or read about the complexities innate in living things, I am amazed. Those who have faith enough to attribute the world around us to chance confuse me. How does one come to that conclusion?
5. Although blue is my favorite color, green is also great. Both hues are so calming. For those of us who spend so much of the year covered in white, we can appreciate them more than most.
6. Abortion is mean. And I’m almost tempted to add a “very” to that statement.
7. Starbucks is expensive. It might be worth it, but I haven’t come to that place in my life where I can visit said establishment more than quarterly. An OK substitute is Taster’s Choice instant. Plus with its lower caffeine count you can indulge with more cups per day.
8. Top ten lists are usually boring.
9. Blogging can be a good exercise in discipline. Bad habits and good habits are hard to develop and hard to break some times. You will have to decide which is which.
10. God is in love with people. Rich Mullins once complained that people are always talking about wanting to be used by God. Whereas, Rich wanted to be wanted by God. I think he was.

0 comments: